English Grammar #6: Comparatives and superlatives
0 questions correctes sur 1
|Comparatives of superiority||Superlatives|
|Short adjectives||adj + ER + than||the + adj + EST|
|Long adjectives||MORE + adj + than||the MOST + adj|
|more beautiful than|
more expensive than
|the most beautiful
the most expensive
Short or long adjectives?
An adjective is short when:
It is made up of one syllable.
- cold -> colder -> the coldest
- warm -> warmer -> the warmest
It is made up of 2 syllables and ends with -y, –er, -ow, and -le (+ quiet).
- quiet -> quieter -> the quietest
- pretty -> prettier -> the prettiest
- clever -> cleverer -> the cleverest
- narrow -> narrower -> the narrowest
- gentle -> gentler -> the gentlest
When a short adjective ends with -y, it becomes -i.
- dry -> drier -> the driest
When the adjective is made up of one syllable and ends with vowel + consonant + vowel, the last consonant is doubled.
- hot -> hotter -> the hottest
An adjective is long when:
It is made up of two syllables or more.
- expensive -> more expensive -> the most expensive
It is made from a past participle.
- bored -> more bored ->the most bored
|far||further/farther||the furthest/the farthest|
Let’s do an exercise to check if you’ve understood everything !
Time to play !
Vous avez déjà rempli le questionnaire avant. Par conséquent, vous ne pouvez pas recommencer.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
Vous devez finir le quiz suivant, avant de commencer celui-ci :
0 questions sur 1 répondues correctement
Vous avez atteint 0 points sur 0 , (0)
What about trying again?
I am sure this is not your favourite subject.
Question 1 sur 1
Fill in the blanks with a comparative or a superlative.
- A380 is (the biggest) (big) plane ever built. The captain is often (older than) (old) the first officer. Some people pretend that Ryanair is (the cheapest) (cheap) low-cost airline. Plane is (the safest) (safe) means of transport. Cars are (more dangerous than) (dangerous) planes. Cessna 172 is (smaller than) (small) Boeing 747. The Concorde was one of (the fastest) (fast) commercial airplane ever built. Qatar Airways is one of the (the best) (good) airline in the world. Travelling by plane is (more polluting than) (polluting) travelling by car. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is (the busiest) (busy)airport in the world.